Whole Wheat Halwa, is a very famous sweet “Tirunelveli halwa” in south district of tamilnadu and the name Tirunelveli.
- ½ cup Whole wheat
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 Cashew nut
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- Wash and soak the whole wheat overnight.
- Drain the water, grind it with ½ cup water smoothly. Filter it using a large strainer.
- Again grind remain with another ½ cup water. Strain through a strainer.
- Keep the collect milk from the ground wheat aside for 30 mins undisturbed. Drain the excess water.
- I use non-stick pan. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cashew nuts until golden brown and keep aside.
- Add ½ cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of water. Continue heating in medium flame, while you keep stirring.
- It will melt, get dry again and then start changing color. At this point flame to low.
- Continue stirring, when the sugar turns golden in color, this is perfect for this halwa.
- Add 3/4 cup water it will splutter. Stir well so that the caramelized sugar gets dissolved.
- It will solidify and float on the top when you pour water. So mix well to almost dissolve it.
- Add the remaining sugar and mix until it dissolves. Be careful not to miss the consistency, make sure you do it in medium flame otherwise you will get burfi instead of halwa.
- Add the drained wheat milk.
- Keep mixing as you are pouring. The color will change as the milk gets cooked.
- Now start adding ghee little by little, say one tbsp at a time and mix and stir for a minute and repeat the process.
- At one stage, the ghee will not be absorbed anymore, it will be at the sides as such.
- It may take a lot of time, do in medium flame always. keep stirring, the whole process takes nearly 30 mins.
- Now, add roasted cashew nut and keep stirring .Halwa starts to leave the sides of pan.
- Spread it over greased plate and let it cool down.
- Whole Wheat Halwa is ready now.