Vazhaipoo Vadai (Banana Flower Vada), is a healthy and tasty South indian snack.This vada is so crispy on the exterior and so moist and fluffy in the middle.
- 1 Banana flower/vaalaipoo
- ¾ cup Garm dal /kadalai paruppu/channa dal
- 1 tsp Raw rice
- ½- ¾ tsp Fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 Red chillie
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- ½ Big onion
- 1 stick Curry leaves chopped
- 1 stick Coriander leaves chopped
- Oil for deep fry
- Soak dal and rice for 2-3hrs. Afterwards completely drained from water and keep aside.
- Before you touch the flower for cleaning,apply sesame oil on both of your hands thoroughly. This prevents your fingers and nails turning black.Separate the edible flower part by removing the petals one bye one.
- Hold a bunch and remove the two parts of the flower that is shown in the picture. Then finished cleaned and washed banana flower/vazhaipoo.
- In a pan add water and chopped banana flower /vazhaipoo and cook for 10 mins and then cool down.
- In blender, add soaked dal, rice, salt, fennel seeds, red chilli and asafoetida to grind coarsely.
- Transfer into the mixing bowl. In a blender, add cooked banana flower/vazhaipoo to grind one whisk and then transfer into the same mixing bowl.
- Mix together and then add chopped onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. And make medium size vadai/pattie in your palm.
- Drop the vadai in oil and cook. You can fry 3-5 at a time.
- Fry both sides until golden and crisp or until the inside gets cooked well.
- Vazhaipoo Vadai is ready now.