Semiya Payasam (pudding) is a semi thick classic Indian dessert prepared with roasted vermicelli , milk and nuts.semiya payasam recipe (vermicelli payasam ) is one of the easiest payasam recipe.
- ¾ cup of semiya (or) vermicelli
- 4-5 tsp of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
- ⅛ tsp. green cardamom powder (or) few strands of saffron
- 600 ml milk(2-1/2 cup to 3 cup)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- cashew nuts and raisins as needed
- Add ghee to a heavy bottom pan, add semiya and roast till slightly golden on a low flame and set aside.
- Add milk to a same pan. Let the milk boil on a low to medium flame. If the vermicelli was set aside add it now. Boil till the vermicelli is fully cooked. Keep stirring to prevent the payasam from burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame for the semiya payasam to thicken.
- Heat ghee in a small pan. Add cashews and fry till golden, add raisins and saute. Keep these aside to use for garnish.
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins.
- Semiya Payasam is ready now.