Rasgullas are a popular Odia sweet dish or dessert, commonly found in the states of Odisha and West Bengal and other states in India.
Ragullas makes perfect texture – soft, spongy and melt in you mouth.Making rasgullas is easy.
- 1 liter (4 cups)Milk
- 1/3 cup (1 time) Vinegar
- 1/3 cup (5 times) Water
- 1 cup Cool water(or) ice cubes
For sugar syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Boil milk for a gentle boil first then remove from flame then add vinegar mixing 1/3 rd cup starts to curdling and then add one more 1/3rd cup vinegar mixing until then whey water clears and milk curdles completely seperates. Add cool water(ice cubes) cool down for 5 mins.
- Take a muslin cloth(make sure it is long to enough to get tied up) over the container and strain,pour the curdle milk filtering the whey water completely.
- Squeeze it excess water to press it gentle(or) hang it aside for 30 mins. After 30 mins the paneer would be crumbly texture.
- Now knead it well for 15 mins. This is most important step as kneading for more time to ensure soft and spongy rasgulla.
- Now pinch the small portion of the dough,from smooth ball and keep aside.
- Heat water in a wide bottom vessel then add sugar. Keep in it flame and stirring till sugar dissolves completely.when the sugar syrup boils starts bubbling ,Add cardamom powder and take small amount of syrup out.
- Remaining bubbling sugar syrup to add all purpose flour mix(1tsp flour+water) and then add the balls one by one slowly. Close with lid cook for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins the balls would be closely doubled in size. switch off and transfer into the syrup aside for 15 mins.
- Cool down and add saffron(or)chopped nuts and chill it to serve.
- Rasgulla is ready now.
For vinegar mix:
- 1/3 cup of vinegar 1 time and 1/3 cup of water 5 times to mix well.