Brinjal Gravy (Eggplant Gravy),is a very tasty recipe and it goes very well with biryani, variety rice, chapathi or dosa. This recipe was suggested by my friend Nishia and I first tasted this recipe in her house with biryani and I loved it.
- 6 small Brinjal (Eggplant)
- 2 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ tsp Ginger paste
- ½ tsp Garlic paste
- A few Curry leaves
- ½ lemon size Tamarind Extract
- 2 tsp Curd
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 ½ -3 tsp Coriander powder
- 10 Black pepper corn
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
To grind Paste:
- ¼ -1/2 cup Peanut
- 3-4 tsp White Sesame seeds
- 5 Cashew nuts
- ½ tsp Poppy seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera seeds
- Heat small pan, add peanuts, white sesame seeds, cashew nuts, poppy seeds, fenugreek seeds, jeera seeds and then dry roast for 2 mins. And then add into the mixer and grind a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add pepper corn and curry leaves splutter and then add onion finely chopped and sauté for golden color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for raw smell goes out and then add finely chopped tomatoes and sauté for mushy consistency.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well and then add brinjal (eggplant) and sauté for 5 mins or till cooked well.
- Add tamarind water, chilli powder, coriander powder and curd and mix well.
- Add water and cover with the lid and cook for 5-8 mins.
- Open the lid and add grinded paste and mix well. Cover with the lid and cook for 5-10 mins in low flame. (If needed add 2 tsp oil and then cook)
- Brinjal Gravy (Eggplant Gravy) is ready now.